Ropes Crossing is a suburb of Sydney in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Ropes Crossing is located 49 kilometres west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of the City of Blacktown and is part of the Greater Western Sydney region. It is surrounded by Llandilo, Shanes Park, Willmot, Dunheved, Lethbridge Park, St Marys, North St Marys and Tregear suburbs.
Ropes Crossing was originally part of the suburb of St Marys. The suburb is named as a crossing of Ropes Creek, a watercourse which is approximately 23 kilometres (14 mi) long rising near Devils Back Tunnel and flowing north into South Creek. The creek itself was named after Anthony Rope, a First Fleet convict who it is assumed was granted land fronting the creek. The area was the site of a World War 2 munitions area, now formerly known as Australian Defence Industries or (ADI).
Kurri Kurri means the beginning. It comes from a local Awabakal language. Kurri Kurri founded in 1902 to build up a big coal mining industry in the Hunter region. Richmond Mine Colliery, the largest shafts mine in the southern hemisphere, carries a history of 100 years in mining and mineral processing, closed in 1967. Kurri Kurri railway has a historical background also. In 1904, it was served by South Maitland Railway and in 1922 it was renamed Kurri Kurri Station. Before the creation of the LGA Kurri Kurri was the centre of the Shire of Kearsley, which included most of the rural areas and villages around the township of Cessnock and part of the western suburbs of Maitland. According to 2011 census, of occupied private dwellings in Kurri Kurri, 34.5% owned outright, 30.2% owned with a mortgage and 30.9% rented. The Kurri Kurri Tidy Towns Committee founded in 1988 and involves in tree plantation, gardening, design, and development. The Kurri Kurri District Business Chamber is a heart of local people for daily business related activities.